The main objective of the Accounting and Finance Department is to provide integrated academic and scientific knowledge in the broad area of Business Administration, Accounting and Finance. In particular as regards the curriculum of the Department, it is readjusted to local business environment in Greece and to challenging international environment that organizations are called to face, providing to students with the appropriate skills and knowledge that will allow them to excel in their professional carrier.
The modern curriculum of the Department seeks to meet the professional requirements of the Accounting and Financial sector of the economy (private and public). Specifically, the graduates of the Department have been given by law the professional rights of the Accountant-Tax Consultant and can thus be employed as executive accountants of firms or organizations or they can be self-employed (Law 2515/1997, Presidential Decree 340/1998, Law 2771/1999, Law 4152/2013). In addition, they are certified to work as a chartered Accountant-Auditor under the conditions laid down by law. At the same time they are able to work professionally in the financial sector as managers in Banks, Insurance companies and brokerage firms. Also, the graduates of the Department have the opportunity to teach Secondary Education courses of the specialty EE 18.03 Accounting (108112D2/20-09-2011).
Specifically, the graduates of the Department of Accounting and Finance:
- Maintain the accounting books of all categories in accordance with the tax legislation, the Generally Accepted Accounting System (GAAS) and the Departmental Accounting System.
- Compile and analyze financial statements.
- Prepare budgets of companies and organizations and be able to analyze them based on the standard cost.
- Apply principles of costing methods.
- Prepare financial studies, business plans, and financial reporting.
- Advise on economic issues, and to participate in economic research.
- Apply procedures of internal and external audit.
- Understand and use management and information systems, in business, stock exchange brokerages etc.
- Are familiar with modern applications in Computers in Accounting and Finance.
- Have knowledge of the latest current trends in the scientific field of Accounting and Finance
- Foster a comprehensive knowledge of the area of applied accounting and financial analysis in both Greek and international reality.
The mission of the Department is to create and disseminate knowledge in the fields of Accounting and Finance. The modern curriculum of the Department is designed in a way that covers a wide range of important topics and issues in the fields of Accounting and Finance, at both a theoretical and a practical level. The program structure gives the opportunity to students and staff members to gain experience of quality and of mutually supportive cooperation. It also gives students opportunities to develop new learning methods, innovation, self-creation, contributing to contemporary society and culture.
After their studies, the graduates of the accounting and finance department have the necessary scientific and technological knowledge in order to act in all areas of taught subjects professionally. More specifically, graduates could work as chief- accountants or financial analysts or self-employed persons.
In the framework of graduates’ profession they could engage in the below professional activities:
- Accountants or tax consultants in accordance with the applicable law
- Financial and stock market advisors or analysts
- Internal Auditors of businesses and organizations in accordance with the applicable law.
- Banking and insurance managers
- Teachers at all levels of education, in accordance with the applicable law.
- Managers of the public sector.